Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

CABDR 2020 Ride Report - CRBMW Forum Exclusive

• Michael Williamson
  • Michael Williamson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 days 19 hours ago - 5 days 19 hours ago #1294 by Michael Williamson
Replied by Michael Williamson on topic CABDR 2020 Ride Report - CRBMW Forum Exclusive
We have been checking in daily with our motels and AirBnBs along the the CABDR Route and all report being open for business as usual. They also report gas stations open, fuel available, along with supplies and groceries, although restaurants, including at the motels offering breakfast, were carry out only. The CABDR blog reports riders on the route currently, although some have been forced to detour due to intermittent snow in some higher elevations and an active mining operation in another spot. American Airlines is still a go.

Despite all of this positive information, last night we decided to scuttle the trip. While neither one of us is concerned about the virus itself, except for of course not wanting to carry the virus into some small towns along the route, we do have serious concerns about the rapidly-deteriorating situation with travel and other sure-to-come restrictions. We discussed simply riding home if domestic flights were cancelled during our trip, but who knows if even that would be allowed? In the end, we decided that we don’t know when the hammer will come down but, when it does, we would rather be closer to home than farther.

So now we wait for our bikes to be delivered home, and hope to be able to get a little local riding in while we still can. The CABDR will have to wait.
Last edit: 5 days 19 hours ago by Michael Williamson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michael Williamson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 week 4 days ago #1284 by Michael Williamson
Replied by Michael Williamson on topic CABDR 2020 Ride Report - CRBMW Forum Exclusive
Thanks, Patrick. I hope to be able to provide updates--we're keeping a sharp eye out for any travel restrictions that might put a wrench in our plans.

More
1 week 4 days ago #1283 by Patrick King
Replied by Patrick King on topic CABDR 2020 Ride Report - CRBMW Forum Exclusive
Great write up and photos Mike! I'm looking forward to trip updates!

• Michael Williamson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #1269 by Michael Williamson
CABDR 2020 Ride Report - CRBMW Forum Exclusive was created by Michael Williamson
This Ride Report will cover my ride along the California Backcountry Discovery Route, and will be posted and updated EXCLUSIVELY on the CRBMW Forum. Follow along in excruciating detail here, and only here.

The CABDR (California Backcountry Discovery Route - CABDR Webpage Link 2020 is a little over two weeks away. Flights, accommodations, and moto shipping were long ago booked. I’ll be riding with local rider John Ciribassi, whom many members might know from MeetUp groups Gravel Road Motorcycling, Chicagoland Dual Sport, and others, John also owns Emmaus Moto Tours. Link HERE One of John’s riding buddies from somewhere out east will also join us.

The plan is to ship our bikes to Las Vegas, fly out to meet them, and then begin the grueling remote route at the end of this month. I packed up my R1250GSA last night and rode to HaulBikes/DailyDirect’s Milwaukee warehouse this morning. John dropped off his KTM 990 there yesterday. I should have gone with him—100 miles at 55 degrees in non-stop rain would have been a huge upgrade to today’s sunny but cold 36 degree morning.

There it is. Just need to change out of my riding gear and load it on the bike. Hoping to fly to Vegas with little more than a toothbrush.

After a quick change in DailyDirect’s spacious restroom, I was directed into their warehouse.

The bike’s fully loaded for the trip, including all riding gear and helmet. Slapped on a fresh set of Continental TK-80s last week, too. It’s all tagged and ready to be shipped. Ciao, moto! See you in Vegas!

DailyDirect ships motorcycles exclusively, and has been for many years. This is probably the fourth time in about 20 years that I have used them. They use a special pallet and don’t require the bike’s battery to be discontinued or fuel run down to any certain level. It’s super easy.

My friend Darrell from Milwaukee was kind enough to pick me up at the warehouse and drove me to the train station. I had about an hour to kill before departure, so he directed me to the Stone Creek Coffee Factory across the street. A coffee shop with a real wood-burning fireplace was just what I needed to thaw out.

After a nice latte and a muffin, I walked over to the train station to board the southbound Hiawatha Service to Chicago.

I love Milwaukee! Everything is new or seems recently renovated, it’s clean, and all-American.

And I’m off!
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Michael Williamson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick King

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds