Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

Safety wire demo?....other tech topics?

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #890 by fran kokes
Replied by fran kokes on topic Safety wire demo?....other tech topics?
While I am glad to do a multi-meter demo as needed, I would rather see another member do it. Especially another member who rarely participates. Please ask around for a volunteer. Threaten that if you not get one, fran will be doing it. That might motivate somebody?
fran
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick King

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #889 by Patrick King
Replied by Patrick King on topic Safety wire demo?....other tech topics?
Thanks (again) Fran!
Let's schedule the Multi-meter Demo for our August General Meeting.

More
1 month 1 day ago #888 by Patrick King
Replied by Patrick King on topic Safety wire demo?....other tech topics?
I know I'd appreciate a safety wire demo, and I'm sure that many more members would also.

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #887 by fran kokes
Replied by fran kokes on topic Safety wire demo?....other tech topics?
it has recently come to my attention that some club members have no experience with multi-meters and tracing the simple electrical gremlins while ascertaining continuity. Ergo, anyone caring to do 4-6 minutes of presentation at a club meeting should contact our illustrious club president for scheduling.
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by fran kokes.

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #864 by fran kokes
Safety wire demo?....other tech topics? was created by fran kokes
As a new member(?) of the Chi-Tech crew, Fran is willing to give a safety wire demo for interested club members and hangers-on. If one has any desired to travel the remote places and needs to keep the bike together during hard and prolonged usage, safety wire is about as reliable and cheap as it gets. Also, safety wire is a good thing to have on any bike being used on a track.

Bikes of olde used to shake bad enough to loosen many fasteners. And just as many jokes and stories were made about all that fun. Bikes still shed the odd bolt. There are videos of bolts shaken out of testing apparatus that proves no properly torque'd bolt is safe. example:

Story Time: When traveling the Wilds of the Far North with a budd on our respective GS's, my budd had a front brake caliper mounting bolt come adrift and disappear into the weeds. We safely made our way to a NAPA store where a new bolt was purchased. I teased my budd about "only buying one replacement bolt?" My budd gave me a smile reserved by men who are not really bemused at such quips. Sure as God made little green apples, the bolt later disappeared even though it had been torque'd in there with Far North Gusto. Again we made our way to the nearest and consequently convenient hardware store which happened to be in Deadhorse, AK. Again, only one bolt was bought. BUT, chemical thread locker was used to secure that "Mutha in Thar". A cuppla few thousand miles later, the bike shed that bolt again in the friendly confines of the midwest of the good ol' USA. My bike having been judiciously ensconced with safety wire never lost any critical fasteners. For my money, seeing safety wire on a bike makes me think that the rider knows something of interest and ought to be met by me. ymmv
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by fran kokes.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds