Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

Training

More
1 week 21 hours ago #869 by fran kokes
Replied by fran kokes on topic Training

runs 2-3 minutes
sent to me by a member who bothers to check the forum every so often.

One pretty good way to get a Passenger mounted on the bike. Like all the ways possible, a few repetitions to get familiar and iron out some of the kinks will have yet another option in the repertoire. Looks useful for bikes with a high top case and/or duffle load.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 20 hours ago #868 by fran kokes
Replied by fran kokes on topic Training
Heads-up: Scheduled for the July 2019 meeting is a presentation on "Passengers" also known as "2-UP" or "2UP". Sometimes a passenger is known as a "Pillion" (pronounced as pill-yun) named after the small seat or cushion found on the back of some motorcycles. Many motorcycle training classes no longer address this topic. Although a wide variety of info is available online, finding something that meets one's needs can be problematic. Nor do the popular and well respected safety manuals address the topic in depth. Thus Fran Kokes will offer whatever can be done in about an hour.

There will be demos given in a parking lot while daylight is sufficient including various ways to mount/dismount the bike while still maintaining a degree of competent cool-ness. Body position, hand-holds, and all manner concerns will be addressed. 3 motorcycles with experienced couples will be available to help first timers and riders with specific concerns on how to iron out some technique. Or at least tip-over with much more grace and panache and perhaps earn a round of applause from happenstance onlookers.

When the daylight disappears, we will move inside where as many questions will be answered as time permits.

Because this topic will be the first of its kind for the club, members are invited to post to this thread whatever they would like to see addressed at the presentation. And this thread might be a clearing house for sharing info post presentation.

Story Time: I managed to drop my first passenger. Many things came together for this fun. it was my first bike. I had been riding it for about 3-4 days. My first passenger was the mother of my best friend. No protective gear was involved. Many things which I firmly believed were "intuitive" to riding 2-up turned out not to be so. As a new rider, I had no idea where to find training literature or training experiences if any existed that might be better than good ol' trial & error. Over the years, I gained a lot of experience of many varieties. I have been dropped a few times and did the dropping a few times. As a parent, I got to watch my daughters ride pillion with some very dubious characters. As a parent, I got to intro my kids to the fun much to my spouses consternation. If nothing else, I have learned that nothing can be approached with any hope that intuition will out. And some training can prevent the worst of newbie errors and allow people to progress much faster to advanced errors.
ymmv,
fran

Q&A right here.

More
3 years 1 month ago #723 by Chuck Oler
Replied by Chuck Oler on topic Training
Holy crap! :ohmy:

• Kaz Zymantas
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago #721 by Kaz Zymantas
Training was created by Kaz Zymantas
I was wondering where I can get training to ride like these guys. That would be fun to ride down Ogden Ave with a group. www.liveleak.com/view?i=b71_1453843676

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds