Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.
× This is where you post your favorite ride/route so others can ride it too!

LaCrosse, the cool way...

• Tom Brown
  • Tom Brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2017 R1200RT, 2000 RSV Mille R
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #895 by Tom Brown
Replied by Tom Brown on topic LaCrosse, the cool way...
Patrick:

It takes a little bit of time to write this stuff out. I'll get to it soon!

My favored way is closed for the summer (Rt 191 from Hollandale to Dodgeville). I'll make a few adjustments and it'll work fine.

-TB

Hey, WATCH THIS!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #894 by Patrick King
Replied by Patrick King on topic LaCrosse, the cool way...
Thank you Tom!
We appreciate your sharing this. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but do you have a Part two: New Glarus to LaCrosse?

• Tom Brown
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #893 by Tom Brown
Replied by Tom Brown on topic LaCrosse, the cool way...
Patrick et al:

I just read this over again and there are a couple small corrections...

Here's Version 2....Which will actually get you to New Glarus:

Riders:

Meeting point is same as Norm's...Rt. 20 Marengo exit off I-90. Pick a gas station. We usually go to the big BP these days.

Go West on 20 past the entrance to toll road.

Take the first left. Getty Rd.

Left at Tee - Hampshire Rd.

Over the toll road and then take the 3rd RIGHT (RIGHT only)...MELMS Rd.

Follow Melms Rd to the very end. Tee. BTW, I've never seen any patrol of Melms. Have seen farmers driving very fast. It's the expressway to Blackhawk Farms race track. I once saw sport bikes do wheelies almost the whole length of this road. Use good judgement. Laws of physics apply...as always.

Turn RIGHT on GENOA Rd. This road is radar patrolled now and then, so take care.

Genoa Rd straight through stop light at Rt. 20. It turns into Business 20 after the light.

Look for a RR bridge (currently GREEN) over Business 20. Just after, Left on LAWRENCEVILLE RD. (This is now a stop-light)

Take first possible RIGHT on to Poplar Grove Rd. (no stop on right turn...but yield.)

Poplar Grove Rd. straight north thru the town of Poplar Grove, past IL 173. Keep going.

Turn left at N. Boone School Rd. (High School on right opposite corner) or the next one, Hunter, or next one, Blaine)

Turn right at stop sign. IL 76

176 past WI border (Becomes WI 140) Thru town of Clinton, WI under I-43 etc...

Turn LEFT at TEE (US 14, WI 11).

Welcome to Emerald Grove!

Look for junk dealer on right. Just after, turn RIGHT on EMERALD GROVE RD.

Emerald Grove Rd needs a bit of love but it's still quite fun...keep a decent interval and watch for pothole hazards. After the fields, you go uphill into a forest with homes on both sides. The Emerald Grove, I'd guess. After these houses there is a stop sign. TURN LEFT on COUNTY M. There is no sign at the corner, but there is a County M route marker to your left on the right side of M. It's less than 90 degrees. NOTE: When you come back, the intersection before this is called "six corners" or something. It's the one after that.

On M, As you are about to enter the town of Milton, you'll be going downhill and you'll see a truly giant GRAIN ELEVATOR....all shiny and huge. Turn LEFT at bottom of hill ON E.M.H TOWNLINE RD.

Townline, runs through many neighborhoods and changes a lot. You'll travel rather spectacularly under I-90 toll road, come to a farmer's veggie stand...keep going until Townline ends at a TEE.

Turn Right on US 51.

In a few miles, turn LEFT on M. (Don't be tempted to turn right on M a mile earlier...That's not what you want....You want LEFT on M.

Indianford, is a scenic little river town. Some interesting WI taverns along this bit....but we're riding, so proceed on M to next town...across river and...again to the TEE.

At TEE, M will turn left. You should TURN RIGHT on to 184.

Left at Stop. Follow 184 for less than 1 mile.

Left on WI 59 (this comes up fast.)

Follow 59 for miles.

Notice a fork where main road goes left...side road goes straight. Follow main road (59).

Shortly after this happens, it happens AGAIN. This time, go straight..off the main road.. to a Tee.

Turn right at the TEE - N. Union Rd.

Take 1st left - Holt Rd.

Straight thu stop at Rt. 14. (they don't stop...caution) Follow Holt into Brooklyn, WI.

Turn right at stop...Cty T and W 104

Left at stop - WI 92

92 rambles sweetly through hilly, bucolic farmlands. Mind the speed ratings on the curves. There is one left with 15mph rating that can surprise you if you get too swept up in the grandeur.

Follow 92 thu Dayton, Wi. After Dayton, note an odd little 3-way intersection.

92 turns right....GO STRAIGHT ON W.

Follow W into New Glarus, WI. Have lunch, get gas, relax a little. This is a great little day-ride for many...just to New Glarus and home again. However...

...The good stuff lies ahead.

Hey, WATCH THIS!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick King

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #891 by Patrick King
Replied by Patrick King on topic LaCrosse, the cool way...
Thank you for posting this Tom. We didn't follow this route this year, but I would love to take it either later this season or next year.

• Tom Brown
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #876 by Tom Brown
LaCrosse, the cool way... was created by Tom Brown
Riders:

Anyone who has gone on the annual Lacrosse ride behind Norm Phoenix knows it's a very interesting route....However.... I think I've found an enhanced version of Norm's famous way that is less urban. No crowded Beloit strip-mall traffic and interesting roads nearly the whole way. So try this out sometime. It's one of my favorite rides. This is Part 1. Marengo exit to New Glarus.

Meeting point is same as Norm's...Rt. 20 Marengo exit off I-90. Pick a gas station. We usually go to the big BP these days.

Go West on 20 past the entrance to toll road.

Take the first left. Getty Rd.

Left at Tee - Hampshire Rd.

Over the toll road and then take the 3rd left (Left only)...Melms Rd.

Follow Melms Rd to the very end. Tee

Turn RIGHT on GENOA Rd. This road is radar patrolled now and then, so take care.

Genoa Rd straight through stop light at Rt. 20. It turns into Business 20 after the light.

Look for a RR bridge over Business 20. Just after, Left on LAWRENCEVILLE RD.

Take first possible RIGHT on Poplar Grove Rd. (no stop on right turn...but yield.

Poplar Grove Rd. straight north thru the town of Poplar Grove, past IL 173. Keep going.

Turn left at N. Boone School Rd. (High School on right opposite corner)

Turn right at stop sign. IL 76

176 past WI border (Becomes WI 140) Thru town of Clinton, under I-43 etc...

Turn LEFT at TEE (US 14, WI 11).

Welcome to Emerald Grove!

Look for junk dealer on right. Just after, turn RIGHT on EMERALD GROVE RD.

Emerald Grove Rd needs a bit of love but it's still quite fun...watch for pothole hazards. After the fields, you go uphill into a forest with homes on both sides. The Emerald Grove, I'd guess. After these houses there is a stop sign. TURN LEFT on COUNTY M.

As you are about to enter the town of Milton, you'll be going downhill and you'll see a giant GRAIN ELEVATOR....all shiny and huge. Turn LEFT ON E.M.H TOWNLINE RD.

Townline, runs through many neighborhoods and changes a lot. You'll travel rather spectacularly under I-90 toll road, come to a farmer's veggie stand...keep going until Townline ends at a TEE.

Turn Right on US 51.

In a few miles, turn LEFT on M. (Don't be tempted to turn right on M a mile earlier...That's not what you want....LEFT on M.

Indianford, is a scenic little river town. Some interesting WI taverns along this bit....but we're riding, so proceed on M to next town...across river and...again to the TEE.

At TEE, M will turn left. You should TURN RIGHT on 184.

Left at Stop. Follow 184 for less than 1 mile.

Left on WI 59 (this comes up fast.)

Follow 59 for miles.

Notice a fork where main road goes left...side road goes straight. Follow main road (59).

Shortly after this happens, it happens AGAIN. This time, go straight to Tee.

Turn right at TEE - N. Union Rd.

Take 1st left - Holt Rd.

Straight thu stop at Rt. 14. Follow Holt into Brooklyn, WI.

Turn right at stop...Cty T and W 104

Left at stop - WI 92

92 rambles sweetly through hilly, bucolic farmlands. Mind the speed ratings on the curves. There is a left with 15mph rating that can surprise you if you get too swept up in the grandeur.

Follow 92 thu Dayton, Wi. After Dayton, note an odd little 3-way intersection.

92 turns left....GO STRAIGHT ON W.

Follow W into New Glarus, WI. Have lunch, get gas, relax a little. This is a great little day-ride for many...just to New Glarus and home again. However...

...The good stuff lies ahead.

To be continued....Going for Hot Dogs now.

Hey, WATCH THIS!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick King

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds